Since your author website is the foundation for all your online marketing activities, it makes sense to ask some pertinent questions before you begin the project of building your website. Here are a few to get you started:Build it yourself or use a web designer? This will be easy for you to answer. Ask yourself these questions:
- Do you have absolutely no web-building skills and a very little comfort level on your computer? If your answer is yes, then it’s clear that you better consider finding a professional to help you out. Sometimes you can get a friend or family member to help you, but be careful of this “free” help because remember you are building a website that should represent you as a professional and serious writer. Also, don’t forget that there will be ongoing maintenance needed to keep your site fresh and alive!
- What is your time availability? Do you have hours to pour into learning everything necessary to make a customized website? Or would it be more prudent to spend your time writing and editing that next book?
- Do you even love all that technology mumbo-jumbo? Some folks love learning technical stuff and others would prefer to leave that for the geeks.
Do you want to get your own hosting (self-hosted option) or let someone else host your site? Below is a decision flow chart that will help you decide which is right for you. Similar to the first question, much will depend on your skill level and how much time you want to devote to this project. Is your WordPress theme selection “responsive”? Here are three ways that a well-designed responsive theme will help your author website:
- Your site will be respond well to all devices. This is important today and moving forward because more people are using tablets and phones to view your website;
- Having a responsive theme will save you the trouble of installing a mobile plugin to make your site mobile-friendly; and
- You won’t be among those websites penalized by Google by not being mobile-optimized.
Do I want to including blogging into my website? The answer to this should be YES! There are so many crucial reason to include blogging:
- Blog posts are the best way to add fresh content to your site, which is paramount for the search engines;
- It allows you to gather blog subscribers who follow your posts and become followers; and
- Blogs allow you to encourage interaction by way of replies that is tracked by Google, giving your site higher rank.
What social media networks do I want to include on my site? Notice that I didn’t say “Do I want to include social media on my site?” There is no questions that you have to get engaged in social media. The more the better, as long as you are active on each social media platform you join. Including live feeds, Facebook live boxes and follow buttons on your site also shows the Google bots (that are crawling your site) that your site is tied into social media, which is also important to your site’s rank.
These are perhaps some of the more important questions to ask. What other questions are important to ask before you build your author website?